Wednesday 17 October 2012

paying the price for 'beauty'

I just read that 63% of young women would rather be glamour models than things like doctors or teachers. This compelled me to rant.

I'm not against the whole modelling industry; of course that you can be a model and intelligent, or a pioneer in feminism, or an amazing person generally. It's just when girls want to be skinny because of models, and the media. And when girls who become models and pose in their underwear without really thinking of the implications, and therefore becoming vulnerable and letting others take the upper hand. The people who look at these girls are the ones who have control in the situation a lot of the time, and this is what is sad; this and the fact that some go into this sort of thing without knowing what will happen.

And I also think a huge reason so many young girls get eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia is from the misleading pictures that litter the internet; everyone wants to become this photoshopped 'it girl' Barbie doll that doesn't even exist. Saying this, I hate the fact that people who fall for the hype are judged for it; it's awful to tell someone they're stupid or whatever just because they end up believing the lies spread by the media and people who think skinny is beautiful.


For example, Karl Lagerfeld's (grrrr) views on models; he believes that people prefer to look at size 0 models and that those who oppose this do so because they are overweight. DISGUSTING MAN. Personally, I don't even know how much I weigh. I don't feel compelled to know. And I'm not even sure of my dress size, because I don't buy new clothes that much any more.


But then there are those amazing women that manage to keep their self-esteem and confidence, and stay true to themselves (AWFUL cliche but bear with me), and can be glamourous and beautiful and a fashion icon but still not abandon their personality for their career in fashion.


People like Agyness Deyn can empower themselves through their sexuality, and not necessarily be so afraid of what other people will think of them. I liked this quote of hers: "You know, even though I’m in fashion, I don’t, like, do fashion. Fashion isn’t me, even though I work in it. It’s just materialistic stuff. I just want to do whatever makes me happy..." I think this quote is really good, it shows how sure of herself she is and how she doesn't let fashion rule her or her life (yes, I know I'm obsessed with her. She's brilliant, okay?!).

It's just tragic that people assure themselves that the 'perfect' figure is attainable. Perfect is what you make it; you can't define something that is different to everyone. Just look at Marilyn Monroe; world-famous beauty icon, and she wasn't a size 6, flat-chested with a gap between her legs (which, by the way, isn't even physically possible; it's all clever photo editing to make girls aspire to be tiny). 

My point is, I don't think there's anything wrong with fashion or the idea of glamour models. Just the way society has changed it all so that it's become something people dread in a way; a symbol of insecurity and delusion for some. So to all those aspiring for a career in modelling or fashion, just make sure you keep a firm grasp on reality and, most importantly, yourself.


That's my ramble for the day.
Bye
Sinead
xxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment